In the last lesson, we learned about how we can encourage those who might be overlooked or mistreated. Why was the Samaritan woman surprised when Jesus asked her for water? (Jesus was a Jew, and she was a Samaritan woman. Jews did not speak to Samaritans.)
Today, we will learn about how evil spirits responded to Jesus and what this tells us about him.
- Jesus and his disciples crossed Lake Galilee and came to the shore of a new town. As Jesus was getting out of the boat, a man with evil spirits inside him ran up to him.
“Jesus, Son of God in heaven,” the man shouted. “What do you want with me? Promise me that you will not torture me!”
“What is your name?” Jesus asked.
“My name is Lots,” the man replied, “because I have lots of evil spirits inside me.” Then, he begged Jesus not to send them away.
Nearby, there was a herd of pigs feeding on a hillside.
“Send us into those pigs!” the evil spirits begged Jesus.
So, Jesus let them go. Immediately, the evil spirits went out of the man and into the pigs. Then, the herd of pigs rushed down the hill, into the lake below, and drowned.
The man was completely healed and in his right mind.
“Go home to your family,” Jesus said to the man. “Tell them how much the Lord has done for you and how good he has been to you.”
So, the man did just as Jesus said. And everyone who heard his story was amazed.
Even when other people did not know who Jesus was, the evil spirits inside the man did. They knew Jesus was the Son of God. They also knew that Jesus is more powerful than Satan or any evil spirit. Jesus showed this. The evil spirits inside the man had to obey him.
The one true God is all-powerful. There is nothing more powerful than God. When Jesus showed his power and authority over the evil spirits, Jesus showed that he was the one true God and deserving of all our worship.
- How did the evil spirits respond when they saw Jesus? (They acknowledged who Jesus was,the Son of God in heaven. They were scared. They begged Jesus to send them into the pigs.)
- How did Jesus show that he is more powerful than Satan or any evil spirit? (The evil spirits could only do what Jesus allowed them to do. When Jesus allowed them to go into the pigs, they obeyed, left the man, and went into the pigs.)
- Even evil spirits know who Jesus is and must obey him. How does knowing this make you feel?
- In the story, God’s power could be seen over the evil spirits as they went into the pigs, then drowned in the lake. God’s power is still active today. What situations have you seen where God’s power was at work?